Please welcome the ever so awesome Dan Skinner with
The Misadventures Of Doc And Dirk
That Darn Muse Vol II
He's a middle-aged, newly single, gay photographer starting life over. Along comes a freshly out nineteen-year-old, irreverent free spirit who wants to be his apprentice. Mismatched by more than a generation, what could possibly go wrong? Everything! And it's AWESOME!
A "Muse" ing: Most authors struggle with the voices or "muses" in their head when writing. Tuning that voice out becomes a little more challenging when your muse is a real-life nineteen-year-old who inhales espresso and turns out ideas at light speed. Danger Will Robinson!
Daddy and The Rent Boy: In selling something, advertising is half the battle. That can become hazardous when you're in the company of an irreverent walking billboard.
"Ooh that's warm," he says as he lowers himself in and pushes his legs in to the side of my own. "You like your water really hot when you take a bath, don't you?"
I finally find my tongue, staring at the naked boy suddenly sharing my bath. "What are you doing?" I ask. There is no disguising the surprise and annoyance in my tone but it doesn't seem to register with him.
"I'm talking, of course." His explanation holds traces of the same disconnect he seems to have most of the time.
This time, he pauses. His brow furrows. He grins. "I forgot." Then he leans forward, touching my knee. “I didn't know you had a scar there. How did you get that?"
That Darn Muse is at it again, and the Dirkisms continue. I giggled a lot. Mostly because Dan sounds a bit exasperated with the obliviousness of said muse, and also because of how Dirk's mind works. I snickered, giggled, laughed out loud.
Dirk has zero boundaries. Prime example is that excerpt above: He'll just insert himself into the same tub where Dan is taking a bath, arranging their limbs just so, completely unabashed and completely oblivious to Dan's WTF face.
The t-shirts - OMG, especially that one Dirk wears when they're out for dinner. Bwahahahahahaha!!!
But there are also serious undertones here, especially when Dan talks about the muse part. It's not that he puts up with Dirk as much as he appreciates him for his youthful irreverence, enthusiasm, and complete lack of shame. Dirk inspires him, in more ways than just one, and really, isn't that a blessing?
Fabulous insight into their relationship (totally chaste, even if Dirk is half-naked a lot and Dan's you-know-what takes notice), and the adorable personality of a beautiful boy whose mind is even more beautiful than what you see at first glance.
Can't wait for the next one!!
** I received a free copy of this book from the author's Marketer/Promoter. A positive review was not promised in return. **
Get the book:
We asked Dan for a list of his favorite things.... enjoy!
Ooooh, I love doing a favorites list!
1. Favorite Food. I have all kinds of favorite foods, but a few years ago, I became a vegetarian so mine are a little different and can change with my moods.
My favorite snack is a triscuit cracker with a dollop of honey mustard and a hunk of sharp cheddar cheese.
For food itself - Gazpacho. I will injure people to get ALL the Gazpacho.
2. Favorite drink. Coffee... no two ways about it. Black with one sweetener.
3. Favorite movie. There are movies I've studied and watched over and over like all of Stanley Kubrick's films. But I realized I can't recommend them to someone like Dirk who finds them to be boring or even appalling. If I have to say one… the movie that I've watched repeatedly that still gives me a lot of satisfaction is “Mildred Pierce” with Joan Crawford. Even now..., they just don't make movies like that one.
4. Favorite book. “Journey to the Center of the Earth” by Jules Verne. I've read it a dozen times over the years.
5. Favorite song. First of May by the Bee Gees. I listened to it repeatedly while writing “Memorizing You.”
6. Favorite candy. Reese’s NutRageous. Stand clear when I have one. Seriously. I will growl at you.
7. Favorite photoshoot location. I have a new one. It's a little stream hidden far back in the woods near where I live. I shot (that’s with a camera, in case there are law enforcement officers reading this) a cute young couple there. There was something about the lake, the color of the earth and water that made the light perfect.
8. Favorite Place to visit. Las Vegas. I used to go every year, even though I don't gamble. It's just so visually stimulating. I can't imagine a better place to people watch.
9. Favorite Place to vacation. California. I've been several times, up and down the coast. I think San Diego may be my favorite, especially around the time of Comic-Con, for the reasons you can guess... people watching.
10. Favorite place to blow $100. Costume shop. Props. I love props.
11. Favorite Way to relax. Dirk's hot tub with an iced coffee.
12. Favorite type of pet. I love dogs. Always will.
Thank you, Dan!!
More about Dan Skinner:
I’m a single gay man living in the Midwest. I write because I consider myself to be an old-fashioned storyteller. I’ve been a photographer for half my life, specializing in male romance cover art. My dream is to one day live on the beach with my dog and continue to tell tales that inspire and entertain.
Promotional materials provided by the author.